Wednesday, December 31, 2014

12/31/2014



Dear... everyone!

Today is New Years Day. What does that actually mean? It's just another day. Technically, today is no special day compared with yesterday or tomorrow. But why is it that everyone loves to choose New Years as the day that they change? Why do we even want to change? What is so special about changing?

Since I've been in the mission field I've learned much about the word change. Before, when I was just an ordinary Christian, I had a deep understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I knew all of the principles. I knew my way around the books of scripture. But the one thing I've learned to do on my mission is how to use that knowledge. We call this word wisdom, or the ability to use obtained knowledge and information to fulfill a purpose or desire.

So now arises the question, "How do we use the Gospel of Jesus Christ?" Because the words I believe are nothing without actions. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead". To understand how we must use Christ's teachings we must understand what our purpose is; what the main goal is; where we are going. This is the point where His teachings become truly dynamic, because the good news tells us why and how

Today I won't be discussing the why of the Gospel as much as the how, so if you would like to know why, I will refer you to The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

To be short in words, there would be no purpose of God's plan if the final goal was just to return to Him again. If so, why did we even leave in the first place? The purpose of this life is to become even as He is

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

This brings us back to the original thought, "Why do we set goals on New Years?". Well, of course we all have regrets. We look back at our lives or our year and we can see our failures and our triumphs. We are filled with joy and gratitude or we are filled with regret. Usually a mix of both. In order to know what we much change from, we have to look back and analyze our actions. And to know what we must change to we must have a vision. What is your vision for yourself this year? When you imagine yourself on December 31st 2015, who do you see? This is where the goals follow. Your goals are built to meet your visions. For example, if I decide on a certain set of goals for 2015, but there is no reason or drive behind it (remember that vision) I'll fail on all my fancy new goals to go running every other day and spend more time at the gym and smile more. This is why so many people find their goals getting blasted by the 17th of January! Because there's no reason, no drive, no vision.
So start with that vision! See your self in a year, and then you need to increase your desire. You've got to want it more than anything. Because when you want this success more than food and sleep then you'll get it. Once you have your vision and adequate desire, then you can start setting your goals.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ will give you a bigger vision, then it tells you how. Christ's commandments are the how. The vision is to become like our Heavenly Father, the Eternal Father, even God. Christ's law is how. It is each stepping stone. It is the ship that takes us to our "promised land".

So if you're sitting here wondering if you're ever going to accomplish all of your great New Years goals, go get a pen and paper, sit down and decide what your vision for this year is, then set your goals (along with detailed plans and forms of measurement).

Remember these goals are supposed to be positive things. If you find that one of your goals is to do something stupid or negative, go home and rethink your life. :)

Why do we choose New Years as the day to change? One missionary told me that he doesn't set goals for new years because every time he does, he can't do them. When he realizes he needs to improve, he sets his goals right then and changes immediately instead of writing a note, "August 23 2014: I need to smile more. Don't forget to put that down in my new years resolutions!"

The best day to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best day to plant a tree is today.

So, in the spirit of resolutions and goals, go crazy. But remember, you don't have to set goals only for new years. Nor do you have to wait 'til December to look back and analyze your performance. Every day, look back and analyze. Take the time to remember and notice. Then set your goals often, whenever necessary.

Just change today instead of tomorrow. That's the whole principle I'm trying to get across.

I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance.

-

Okay, that was fun. I like writing mini sermons! It's so much easier to type them than to try to write them during personal study! haha

On Sunday Sister รดา and Sister นุ่น were baptized into the only true and living Church!

These two Sisters are fantastic. Sister Radaa said in her testimony, "Before I thought I was a good person, but I know that this will make me even better." 

Yesterday we were inviting in front of a mall called Terminal 21. Right now everyone went home for New Years so there's only hundreds of tourists at our favorite contacting place. So we get some fun experiences with foreigners. For example, a kind lady asked me ,"Why are you trying to convert Buddhists for heaven's sake?" I thought that was an interesting question. The answer is, "I am trying to convert everybody for their sake and for heaven's sake." But she was walking very quickly so we didn't get the chance to talk.

This morning I drove in Thailand for the first time! The van!! I feel like I'm driving a bus everywhere, and for some reason everything is on the wrong side.

Okay, I'm out of stuff...

Pictures!!!


And this is our christmas tree!!!

Love you,
Elder Osborn

No comments:

Post a Comment